View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
If it's not to your taste, then it's not to your taste and if you actively don't like it after 100 pages, I'd suggest you call it a day soon and move on to a different book.

Other than that I can't really answer the questions. I loved Gardens of the Moon from page one and found the books in the series to range from just plain good to simply great, but as I'm not in the habit of analysing the books I read I can't really give you a detailed explanation of why. My experience was pretty much diametrically opposite to yours though: I enjoyed the characters, didn't find the names any more ridiculous than in any other fantasy series, found the characterisation more than adequate and above all just loved the world it was set in.

On the other hand I've absolutely no problem seeing that it's extremely unlikely to be to everyone's taste. And if you struggle with it, I'd just chuck it in. Life's too short to struggle with books.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote