View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #52
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Regardless of the genre, Bestsellers are only bestsellers because they draw in casual readers, not just heavy readers. And casual readers, as a rule, don't buy books if they're not going to read them immediately.
Really? As a rule? I know quite a few casual readers (because I talk to a lot of people when they find out I'm a writer.) The vast majority of them say they buy this and that, but haven't read it yet (they are typically the best sellers.) It comes about because I'll ask what they like to read. Inevitably the casual reader will say, "I just bought...but haven't read it yet." I think a lot of those get bought and never read. But yes, if they are going to read anything, they tend to read "what everyone is talking about."

Just because I'm a writer/avid reader I get asked ALL THE STINKING TIME if I have read Twilight, 50 shades--whatever the current "book of the moment" is. At least I had read Harry Potter so when a relative began attacking it because it had been banned by her church, I could reassure her that it was all just another fantasy and there wasn't any satan references. Okay, I only read the first 4, so it's possible that satan entered in there, but it's still just a fantasy book and nothing to do with trying to pass off fiction as fact.

My MOTHER even called to ask what the 50 shades thing was all about. "Well mom, I haven't read it. And no, I'm not going to be reading it just so I can tell you if it is garbage. Let's just assume and move on." Eye roll.

But it made the nightly news so some of her friends read it (none are casual readers. Her three best buds fall under pretty avid readers.) The one is definitely going to read most of the stuff that makes the best seller list. She buys the hardbacks of many of them as soon as they come out. I can't think of any casual reader friends she has at the moment...

FWIW. Bunch of rambling there, sorry.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote