View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Post Allais, Alphonse: À se tordre (French). 21 Dec 2012

Alphonse Allais (1854-1905) was a French writer and humorist. His writings are filled with word plays and absurd and minimalistic humour. He also created early samples (with humoristic intent) of silent musical pieces and monochromatic pictures. In writing, he's famous for his "holorhymes", verses which not only rhyme at the end, but are homophonous all along.

"À se tordre" (1891) is a collection of short stories, which typically end with a gag or word play. I guess many of them are idiomatic, and some probably make reference to some events or social trends of the time. I confess I didn't get many of the jokes (but probably native French speakers will have it easier), but it's a nice reading anyway.

As usual, this is proofread and re-formatted to the best of my knowledge.

All feedback is welcome.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub A se tordre.epub (392.9 KB, 481 views)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote