View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #71
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I agree that Sense of Snow was a case of either bad taste or dismal opportunism.

But that's why you and I tend not to read bestsellers -- because what we're looking for in a book isn't necessarily what sells in the short-term. (I'm basing that supposition on having read some of your thoughts on the books you actually liked.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
It was a big hit and even won a prize.
Still, Snow was a hit with the public and in its own time. Many of the writers we've been talking about were despised by the public initially (Henry Miller included). Often, that first wave of popularity can fade permanently.

BTW: Despite what I happen to think of Miller, he's earned the admiration of some damned compelling fiction writers and critics. If he speaks to you and stands up when you reread him, then it doesn't matter what I think except in the sense that we can talk about it and refine our own thoughts.

I agree with you, too, Orlok. Thanks for that.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-06-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote