View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I go through phases. At the moment it's a silence phase. Other times it's classical music, Grieg, Vivaldi and Bach being among my favourites, but I'm generally not that fussy once I get going. At other times it's been Fleetwood Mac (sometimes the original, blues stuff, sometimes the new). Dire Straits tend to be pretty inspirational, Pink Floyd too. I've even got a Billy Connolly CD that comes out pretty regularly (Muscial Tour of Scotland). More recently I've come to really love Death Cab for Cutie - if you want obsession in music, these are they guys. And there's one that I find quite strange and out of character for me - Paramore; I pump my headphones up loud (this is generally in the early hours of the morning) and it always seems to lock me away somewhere good.

I think almost anything can work for me, as long as it's familiar - new stuff is distracting - and I'm in the right mood. I often find myself typing in time to the music, as though the rhythm itself is a driving force.

I can't do detail editing to anything with words, so that's always silence or classical, but when writing new stuff I find that good music helps to lock out the demons of distraction.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote