View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticExtremis View Post
Well it seems having the right fonts installed makes all the difference.
Gnu-free and DejaVu fonts do a pretty good job on special characters in
their serif and sans forms,not so good for the monotype face.
Also, koboifying the epub makes a big difference to which languages get
rendered.
It could take quite some time to get through all the permutations.
I ended up installing Microsoft's Arial Unicode MS font just to allow me to see the various pages without having to switch fonts. While Arial MS has it's issues, I think it has the best unicode support of any font currently available.

I made a few small changes to split the ligatures out from the font styles, remove the 5 blank pages after the Arabic test page and then renamed the file to .kepub.epub to allow handing the direction directives. I've attached that version to this message along with a file from the Azardi website which contains the UN Declaration of Human Rights in 28 languages. The embedded DejaVu font does not work properly but using the Arial Unicode font lets me see most of the text files. Amharic, Malayam and Thai are among the missing.

Regards,
David
Attached Files
File Type: epub EpubFeaturePeeker.kepub.epub (133.4 KB, 454 views)
File Type: epub UDHR_28_Languages.kepub.epub (3.11 MB, 670 views)

Last edited by DNSB; 04-13-2013 at 08:44 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote