Thread: Troubleshooting Kindle Paperwhite stuck on boot
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #13
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioactive76 View Post
I just got off the phone with Will at Amazon support, Will's final (useless) conclusion was "when you format the user partition, the javascript link between the Fortran and the kernel is broken." Seriously, who hires these people?
I've worked in (IT) support in the past. "Will" probably knows very well that the above is just balloony. However.... In many companies, the support people are actually *not allowed* to *not* know the cause of the problem. Therefore they make stuff up, throwing in random IT-jargon ("technobabble") that sounds very serious for 99% of all people, so they'd think: "That's way beyond me. I'll do whatever you say."

However, sometimes support talks to someone who does know stuff (you, me), and then "technobabble" sounds utterly stoooopid. I've never done it and just told people that every possible thing was tried and I didn't know anything else to do. Warranty? Repair / Exchange, done. Happy customer. Because telling a customer that "you don't know" was not company policy, my team leader was always livid. Until he saw my happy customer score. Many companies often don't understand one simple thing: Honesty gets you a very, very long way with many, even extremely angry customers.

The above is probably just Will's way of saying: "I don't know, and I'll see what I can do for you." (With regard to exchanging.)

Good luck resolving the problem or exchanging the device.

I have no ideas. (Oops, did it again )
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote