View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 05:02 PM   #96
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Two observations about people's current = latest assumption and the demands of the format being supported:

First, Amazon's* still selling the KK doesn't make it the latest model even though it is, as people are saying, "current."

It's possible they're being unintentionally vague about the distinction, but I'd suspect them of being cagey before assuming they hadn't carefully thought through what they chose to say to customers about a change in format and backward incompatibilty.

Second, the leap in power and capabilities seems more pronounced between the new Kindles and the KK than between the KK and the K2/DX. Am I right about that?

We all know Amazon will continue to make new books available to all Kindles, especially to their most popular model to date, which they happen to be selling even now. After all, the very first Kindle was designed to be a funnel for exclusive content and I can't see them blocking potentially profitable versions of that funnel until they must.

But why would KF8 be significantly easier to run on the K3 than the K2/DX? Apart from having more RAM and being able to play audio content, isn't the K3 closer to the K2 than it is to the newest generation? If so, why would Amazon disinclude the Kindle 2 if their most important business is still selling content and both iterations could be made to handle the new format?

I agree it's possible they'll fully support the Kindle Keyboard with KF8, but somehow, I wonder. Given the subtle ambiguity of their statements so far and the similarities between the K2 and the K3, it's also possible they might not offer the features of KF8 for the KK but will make post-KF8 purchases on all previous Kindles as painless as possible, and will focus on conveying the painlessness of it all to Kindle Keyboard owners.

Given the size and immediate antecedent of the KK's user base, I wouldn't expect Amazon to be anything less than attentive and even fulsome to KK customers. But I wouldn't be surprised if there turned out to be little difference between K2 and KK compatibility with KF8, all public relations aside.

======================

* Formulation looks ungrammatical until you notice the gerund.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-21-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote