View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastolfe View Post
Yes. I bought my 650 in Belgium, and it has:

New Oxford American Dictionary (EN)
Oxford Dictionary of English (EN)
Oxford-hachette French Dictionary (EN-FR)
Oxford-hachette French Dictionary (FR-EN)
Collins English-German Dictionary (EN-DE)
Collins German-English Dictionary (DE-EN)
Oxford Spanish Dictionary (EN-ES)
Oxford Spanish Dictionary (ES-EN)
Collins English-Italian Dictionary (EN-IT)
Collins Italian-English Dictionary (IT-EN)
Van Dale Pocketwoordenboek Engels-Nederlands (EN-NE)
Van Dale Pocketwoordenboek Engels-Nederlands (NE-EN)

Clearly the set of dictionaries included in the device is localized (who else in the world would want a Dutch dictionary outside Belgium or the Netherlands), but the point is that the central language is English. In other words, if you were hoping to find a french dictionary, as opposed to a translation dictionary, you're SOL.

I'm personally delighted by the choice of dictionaries in my 650, as I'm primary a reader of English who knows French, Spanish and a bit of Dutch, but I'm clearly a minority here. The few other people I know who bought a 650 sorely miss a dictionary in their native tongue, and feel slightly shafted by Sony here. Their argument is that they have less for their money than english readers. In fact, I find it slightly odd that Sony doesn't include a native dictionary (or dictionaries in the case of multilangual countries such as Belgium) in readers sold in non-english speaking countries.
It is not localized - I would much rather have Portuguese - English than Dutch!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote