View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
n.b.:

This may not work if you attempt to set the SRL ("start reading location") before the html.toc file that appears in the mobi files, assuming you are discussing distribution through Amazon. Just be advised--Amazon's default will be to set it to the first full text page after the Table of Contents.

Hitch
Hi Hitch;

Well, that was true before that Amazon had released Kindlegen 2.8. Now, you can set the SRL anywhere, by following the steps of my previous post, and the .mobi book will open at that position.

But it will be better if you can see it by your own eyes. I attach "Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley, both in .mobi (.kf8) and in .epub format. I downloaded that book from Feedbooks in .epub format. I opened it in Sigil, I added a TOC (in .html format), and after that, I set the SRL BEFORE the TOC. I saved the .epub and finally, I built with it a mobi book with Kindlegen. As you can see, the book opens in the desired position although it is located before the TOC.

But I do not dispute your statement regarding how problematic it was to set the SRL with correction in kindle books. I remember (with Kindlegen 2.6 and older) being plucked hairs more than once trying to achieve that. It seemed that only God knew where the book was going to start. But with Kindlegen 2.7 and better with Kindlegen 2.8, all the problems seem (fortunately) to be fixed

The best for you
Rubén
Attached Files
File Type: mobi Mary Shelley - Frankenstein.mobi (1.39 MB, 334 views)
File Type: epub Mary Shelley - Frankenstein.epub (761.1 KB, 292 views)

Last edited by RbnJrg; 05-11-2013 at 02:30 PM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote