View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
ellett
Connoisseur
ellett began at the beginning.

Device: Android
[Android App] Calibre Companion - experiences syncing a 2000+ book library

An elegantly designed app that works well most of the time. I'm glad I bought it.

I especially love the abiliity to sort by author and series. I'll be using CC as my library manager and just using Aldiko Premium (or whatever may work better with CC) as my reader.

Some observations:
So far I have about 1000 books synced to my phone. When I start CC it takes over a minute to open. I'm assuming the initial open time will increase as I continue to add books. Is CC scanning the collection when it starts or does it maintain a metadata file to provide the quickest startup?

With 2200 books in calibre, when I touch connect it takes over 4 minutes before calibre sees the device, and when I send books to device I only get about two books per minute transferred. Much, much, much slower than syncing my old phone via USB using a drive letter.

Given the slow sync speed, I've been selecting a couple of hundred books and sending to device. That runs fine for a while but occasionally I get a connection problem with calibre (it appears to be a standard timeout, see debug at bottom of post). In that case, CC continues to show the syncing with calibre screen but there is no progress. The problem is that I cannot return out of the application; it's stuck and apparently doesn't realize calibre is no longer communicating. I've found the easiest thing is just to reboot my phone.

I recommend that at the bottom of all of the CC screens there be a cancel button. Cancel could either terminate the operation immediately, attempting to notify calibre of a "problem", or cancel could wait a few seconds to attempt to let the current transfer finish and then terminate.

I don't know why I experience occasional time outs. I have the phone within a few feet of the wifi router, showing max signal strength and I have nothing else running on the PC except a low-bandwidth internet radio station I use to verify that there is no signal interruption. The phone is sitting on my desk not being used throughout the transfer.

calibre debug:

calibre, version 0.8.64
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

There was a timeout while communicating with the device in function: Device did not respond in reasonable time

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 83, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 478, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 43, in _synchronizer
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 749, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 396, in _put_file
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\smart_device_app\driver.p y", line 372, in _call_client
TimeoutError: There was a timeout while communicating with the device in function: Device did not respond in reasonable time
ellett is offline   Reply With Quote