View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 11:06 PM   #17
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I'd support a fixed term like that, but it would have to be higher than 50 years.

Again, I could never support a system where an author (or musician etc.) can see other people making money off their content while they're alive without them getting their royalty payment.

I think death is simpler, but I'd go for a fixed term of say 100 years if you want a clear date in place, as that's long enough to make nearly 100% sure copyrights aren't expiring in the person's lifetime. 80 would be about as low as I'd go, since not many people publish stuff before 20, nor live to 100.
What would be the incentive to create a second thing when the first is bringing in money forever. And how can a copyright that lasts longer than a person can be reasonably expected to live ever be considered a limited time?
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote