View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
Jayko
Jayko began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Using Calibre to Catalogue?

I'm loving using Calibre to manage my e-library and had a thought on using Calibre for something it obviously wasn't intended for...

I have a reasonable sized collection of physical books and plan on continuing to buy some, especially the graphic novels sort as I prefer the physical editions to .CBRs. I noticed that I can edit metadata for .txt documents. Would there be a downside to creating .txt documents for physical books and simply editing the metadata to use Calibre to catalogue my physical books in addition to managing the e-books? It's quite easy use a "Shelf" tag to denote they're not actually e-books right in the current UI.

Obviously I wouldn't be able to upload them to my Kindle 2 and would entail lots of labor on my part to get caught up on my existing collection. Before I start this process, I just want to make sure that the metadata for said bogus .txt documents will be maintained in the metadata database and will transfer to a new computer as long as the bogus .txts are moved with the library on a computer swap or swap OSs.

Anyone shooting holes in this idea, pointing me to a thread where it has already been discussed, or contributing any other kind of feedback would be much appreciated!

-Jay
Jayko is offline   Reply With Quote