View Single Post
Old 10-09-2006, 02:26 PM   #10
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzwaryn
Books that touch DRM will never touch my Sony Reader.
You are definitely not alone.

There is growing sentiment against the kind of DRM schemes that we are seeing these days. People want to buy a book and feel like it's theirs to read permanently on whatever platform they choose, and current DRM doesn't do that. Many other issues as well, of course. I respect your choices.

But DRM is a bigger issue than just Sony, and some people will still end up taking current DRM as a necessary evil for now. On the one hand, there is the desire to "take a stand" and create change. On the other hand is the reality that copyrighted materials are, for the most part, going to involve DRM, and the Sony store is the logical and easy place to get content for the Sony Reader. For example, I think the masses of regular readers, that hopefully buy the Reader, will most likely only read books from the Sony store.

That doesn't change the fact, though, that the DRM system is broken right now from a consumer's point of view. It's definitely a hot topic and emotional issue.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote