View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 03:27 AM   #30
Gaffer
Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kobo Touch
Analogies needn't be exact; one definition is "partial similarity". The point of my analogy was that marketing becomes increasingly heavy and invasive over time, and I think we've all seen that. You do remember when ads didn't pop up during shows at all, right?

My reference to cable is to discussions I remember back in the 60s when people argued over whether anyone would be crazy enough to pay for television at all. The answer was generally that it would be worth it because then you wouldn't have to watch commercials. And cable did have far less commercials than the over-the-air networks, even as recently as 15 years ago. AMC, for example, came with my basic cable and showed entire movies without commercial interruption (they did have commercials before and after). Then they started putting one commercial break halfway through, and over time you got more and more.

The whole world is like that, and it has bugged me for ages. I remember joking at one time that people would eventually get commercials tatooed on their heads; that actually happened some years back. Then there was the deal where teachers were getting free use of cars, with the catch being they had to park them at school and the cars were painted over with advertising. It's getting more insane year by year, and no end in sight.

As for marketing on the Kobo main screen, I haven't personally seen what it looks like post 1.9.17 so can't argue that. I do know that the default option on 1.9.17 put suggested books on the screen, and the orginal poster for this thread talked as if he's seeing unwanted marketing in 2.3.0, unless I misunderstood him.
Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote