View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 04:08 AM   #8
Croker
Connoisseur
Croker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, obv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Unfortunatley, this is the state of things at the moment, since e-books is still considered to be in it's infancy so to speak. Problem being that books are released in the cycle of Hardback->Paperback->(Maybe) e-book.

The point being that it seems like most publishing companies doesn't believe in the digital form of book distribution as of yet. Hence, there will be a shortage of e-books for the forseeable future. Until there are enough e-readers sold that it's financialy sound to release a book in digital format. Audio-books is getting there. e-books haven't quite yet.

At least thats my idea of how it works at the moment. Feel free to shot me down
No need to shoot you down - at least, not from my point of view! You're stating what I already suspected, to be honest.

What do people advise, though? Is it still worth snapping up a reader? I say this because I don't really think that I can cope for very long without a electronic copy of "Spares" or "Only Forward"...!

You also mention the financial aspect, which I touched on in my first post. My concern is that we never get to a stage where enough Readers are sold to make releasing more ebooks financially sound. People will refrain from buying Readers at the moment (IMO, of course) because the content isn't varied enough. So, ebooks won't be getting sold. If ebooks aren't getting sold, then who's going to invest more in that market? As I said earlier, it's a vicious circle, and the only way to break it is to go big in terms of releases and hope that the public follow (and I'm confident that they would).

Will anyone have the guts to do that, though? I doubt it.

Last edited by Croker; 09-17-2008 at 04:12 AM.
Croker is offline   Reply With Quote