View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Go prepaid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyGeek View Post
Verizon doesn't allow smart phone use without a data plan.
PagePlusCellular.com is a prepaid service compatible with Verizon (CDMA) phones and uses the Verizon network. I have activated 2 Verizon phones with them after the expiration of the 2 year contracts and so have really cheap (like 4 cents per minute) phone and text on "spare" phones for family members. Data also available on prepaid accounts, and you only buy what you need.

If you are interested, go to their website
http://www.pagepluscellular.com/Plans.aspx
and see details. It costs $10 to activate a phone - you have to enter the MEID number of your phone and you are assigned a phone number usually in the same zip code as your phone was originally. What they don't tell you is that after you activate the phone online you have to dial *22890 on the phone to re-program it; when you have done that, add minutes to your plan - as little as $10 at a time for 100 minutes (or 1000 minutes for $50!) good for 120 days. Data uses $1.20/MB out of your account balance, not great but fine that it's available for emergencies.

Where I live, Verizon is really the only game in town so I am glad that the network works so well. I am totally in agreement with your view on having to pay for a data plan with a smart phone... having said that, I recently surrendered to temptation and signed up for another 2 years (phone/data) to get the Palm Pre Plus. It has nice apps similar to the iPhone (but far fewer in number) and free Mobile Hotspot up to 5GB per month to get internet connection on my laptop when nothing else is available.

Congrats on the Incredible, maybe I can upgrade to an Android device myself the next time around!
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote