View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #261
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
...or switch to to Mac or Unix.
You wouldn't ever see me switching to any Apple device. Apple's hardware choices are too limited for me, and sometimes plainly don't provide what I want, or provide it as an option for way too high a price. In addition to that, I don't like that company's (and some users'...) elitest attitude.

If I switch to another operating system, it would probably be FreeBSD, IF I can find hardware for which FreeBSD provides drivers. It's a direct descendant from Unix itself, as opposed to being a clone, like Linux is. The core operating system is developed as a complete unit, whereas Linux is a system compiled from many parts; kernel from Kernel.org, userland utilities from GNU, drivers from many different sources, etc... I like the FreeBSD-philosophy better than the Linux one.

Still, if I'd end up with Linux because of hardware considerations, then it'll probably be an Enterprise-grade Linux-version; if that's not possible, it would be Arch Linux.

I already use many open source programs that run on Linux/FreeBSD, and for all of my old games, I'd probably just keep my current system (and/or my next one) running alongside it.

The very real problem is that I need a suitable replacement for Photoshop CS5.1 and LightRoom 4 for my photography stuff. While The GIMP and RAWTherapee work, they are not cutting it with regard to usability and features, BY FAR.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote