View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 08:17 PM   #12429
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'll bet that was a very exciting blue flash in the kitchen windows. I'd like to see a lightning bolt that close up just once in my life (but no closer!). And I don't mean in the last few seconds of my life, either!
In the mid-70s I worked for the Division of Fish and Game here in Northern NJ. We were based in a 19th century farm house in a locality named "Ironia." It was a major source of iron for the colonies before, during, and just after the Revolutionary war -- in the form of "bog iron" that could be picked up as nodules in the nearby wetlands.

The farm house was on a hill -- high elevation, cleared land, iron-saturated ground -- and was routinely hit multiple times by lightning during each and every storm. It was (more than) adequately rodded and grounded, of course! We learned to run for the house at the slightest rumble of thunder.

I can't count the number of times I watched the windows flash as lightning struck. Fortunately, I was never hit. The area manager, however, had been hit twice. He was singed, but lived.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote