View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #17
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
File Sharing (of copyright materials w/o permission) = providing someone else's work, to a person who isn't paying for it, w/o the possibility of recompense to the owner of the copyright

If a person wants to give away their own work, fine, but they shouldn't allow themselves to use technology to take that decision away from others.

William
In the event that the author or their inheritors are living, I agree that it is theft of income and do not do it.

A book like "Gone with the Wind" (1936) written by Margaret Munnerlyn Mitchell (November 8, 1900 – August 16, 1949) and still in publication, I also agree - theft of income.

But if there is a book that has not been published in the last 20-30 years. NO, I would now convict anyone of theft in those conditions.

I have had the misfortune of meeting a few (VERY few thankfully) that honestly believe that a person, no mater how old or young, shall go to hell for knowingly stealing anything, even a paperclip. NO forgiveness - HELL.

If I'm wrong then I'm going to hell. It's too late now for me to return those little office thingies that went home in my pocket, pens, thumb tacks, etc.

So I STRONGLY disagree with you that it is ALWAYS wrong.

You may say "So what, Im' still right".

To which I say "Naa, naa, na naaaa naaaaa, the books downloaded were so bad that I deleted them anyway".

And that was my earlier point. If you go looking for "out of print" ebooks on the web you will not offend B&N. It will make their books look better, typos and all.

Heck, if I were to "steal" an ebook it would be "Under the Eagle" by Simon Scarrow. It is only available over seas. If I could buy it I would. But I will not download it for free.

That's just me. I'll condemn no one else.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote