View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #111
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Are you (and the original author) saying that only those that can afford books should be allowed to read? Because if you are, that's a path I hope we never go down.
Another false dichotomy. Anyone who wants to read will find books to read. Maybe not the precise book he or she thinks they want, but certainly books worth reading.

Physical books are damn near worthless these days. If I decided never to buy a book again, I would have no trouble finding books to read for free.

Libraries are about CHOICE in reading. They are not about being able to read vs. not being able to read. Abolish libraries, and people will still be able to read. Books are just lying around all over the place, because they are close to worthless as a commodity. What you & I think of as access to books is really "access to the books we want right now." A real reader will read the dictionary, the encyclopedia, the Bible, the back of a cereal box...

Last edited by Harmon; 02-26-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote