View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #42
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenderland View Post

IMO the missing base functionality makes the whole 10" eReader concept extremely vulnerable: 10" tablets are availabe for as low as 200 EUR. One single tablet producer being clever enough to recognize the huge demand for a tablet that can be read in sunlight and replacing the LCD with a 10" E-Ink screen would be enough to destroy the whole business model.
There is still time for the developers to do their homework. But they need to act fast. The longer they do not fill this niche, the higher the probability becomes that another one will fill it.
That is more or less what I have been posting for months - only to be told my expectations were too high.
The companies right now operating in this segment, basically PB and Onyx don't seem to have enough money in their pockets. So they have to rely on unsuspecting customers who basically finance the operation - assuming the role normally taken by investors.
They have no idea about their customer base.
First and foremost they use their own brand of Linux which in my opinion is betting on the wrong horse.
Sony for example uses Android, their devices can be rooted and there is access to the most useful apps.
This way software development ist outsourced.
Unless something like a miracle happens we are looking at doomed devices - I am pretty sure others, with more capital and more ideas will enter the market soon.
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote