View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 02:53 AM   #115
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
On the Sync to the cloud theme, and this would be after the iPhone version comes out, would it be possible to propagate, not only the sync data, but the actual books in the library to other devices signed on to the same iCloud account?

So if I download a book to the iPad, Marvin sends the book to icloud, and next time I open Marvin on my iPhone, it downloads the book and the sync data.
I think this should be optional, not automatic. I may not wish to have the same books fully loaded on all iOS devices. The Kindle app does this nicely: it lists all your (Amazon-purchased) books on all of your Kindle devices, but to actually download a book, you need to push a cloud icon. So, I think simply syncing the list of all your books should be enough to start with, with the actual download of the book(s) made optional, and I agree it would be useful.

By the way, Marvin's description in the App Store says it needs iOS 5 to run. Luckily, that's not true, as Marvin also happily runs on my iPad 1 where the highest possible iOS version is 4. Please, Kris, continue supporting all iPads. Marvin also looks great on iPad 1, although I definitely prefer it on the iPad 3 due to the crispness of fonts on the Retina display.

As to SugarSync, I use it for book management, too. Overall, I prefer Dropbox as cloud service, but am (therefore) always running out of space there. I have SugarSync mapped to the Calibre folder on my desktop and notebook PCs, so all books are always nicely available on all my PCs and mobile devices. I see no pressing need for Marvin to integrate SugarSync directly. I can just open the SugarSync app on my iPad or iPhone, browse to the Calibre folder, and side-load any book into Marvin that way. [Although there's a nasty bug in the SugarSync app where the "Open in..." button not always works for all EPUB files; then you need to copy the download link and open it via Safari; I complained about this to SugarSync support many months ago, but it appears they're ignoring the bug instead of fixing it.]

Last edited by Faterson; 12-10-2012 at 02:58 AM.