View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #60
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
What is next? If they are regulating ebook prices, why not ebook readers? Where does it stop? The government should not be in the practice of regulating prices.
There is a basic line where public policy needs to fill a void left by the market. But I'm not sure if government regulation is needed, I have a feeling Random will have to change their mind when it fails miserably. People will continue to migrate toward cheaper ebooks and leave their authors in the dust.

Certainly at some point price gouging needs the attention of the government, but where that line is is debatable. It certainly seems like there's been a lot of gouging going on lately. The American consumer has really gotten the short end of the stick the last twenty five years or so. Crappier products, higher prices, less service and proprietary lock-outs. You get less for more now and that needs to change somehow.

Certainly government needs to return to enforcing anti-collusion laws. There appears (though I haven't looked in to it know for sure) that there is a lot of collusion going on with price fixing in various industries.

This situation is a case in point. Who wants to bet other publishers will follow Random House's move despite the fact that offering cheaper prices gives them a decided advantage over their rival?

Last edited by MV64; 03-05-2012 at 12:02 PM.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote