View Single Post
Old 01-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #5
ereader25
Enthusiast
ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.

Device: looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Android e-ink devices are pretty hard to find. Chinese companies like Boyue and Onyx are about the only ones who make them. I'm aware of the Earl, but they have had delays upon delays. The only ones I know of that have audio support only do so through a headphone jack. Your best options are either the Onyx Boox T68 and AfterGlow 2 (also known as the C67) and the Boyue T61 and T62. I have the T68 and T62. The T62 gives me the better battery life. I rooted it and installed SetCPU, and now my battery life is pretty close to my old Nook Simple Touch. The T68 isn't as good with battery life, but it has a 6.8 in display (the T62 has a 6 in display). The T62 is less expensive than the T68, but has more space for apps and data. You can use a microSD card with any of these devices. All have headphone jacks and TTS capability.

Your cheapest option may be to but the Onyx Boox C67 from Banggood. It goes for about $128 US, I believe. You will have to wait about three weeks, and you'll need to root your device if you want Google Play Store on it.

My recommendation? The Boyue T62. If you want a larger screen, try the Onyx T68.

Edit: You'll need to root the T62, too, if you want Play Store. Onyx devices come with Play Store installed. Still, the T62 is my favorite.
Thanks this is helpful info. I'm curious what you think of the T62 vs the Afterglow 2, they seem pretty similar to me on paper, can you think of a particular reason to choose one over the other? Is Onyx vs Boyue a better company to support or anything?

Also, what has your experience been with handling PDFs on your devices? It would be awesome to be able to read and annotate PDFs smoothly. I'm talking both about articles a few pages long, or textbooks thousands of pages long.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Edit PS - since you have rooted your T62 how has the functionality been for you? I wonder if it would be possible to set something like this (http://www.raspberrypi.org/kindleberry-pi-the-second/) up, or alternatively to tether to a phone and tunnel into my home computers terminal to get some work done while out and about.

Last edited by ereader25; 01-01-2015 at 02:42 PM. Reason: PS
ereader25 is offline   Reply With Quote