View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 08:06 AM   #8
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I disagree. It is much faster navigating a well structured tree then searching. And I really do not see how you fast will find the next book in a series using meta tags.

I also always use directory mode on my MP3 players...
Which one you use? My Creative Zen isn't even capable of that

Tag searching is extremely flexible

Depending on what I want I can choose the genre: Rock or Audio Book and then the Author/Artist and Book/song. But I also can choose to start with the Autor, or with the name of a song

With directory trees that is completely impossible. If you store something under Romance, then Author and then Book Title, you will have a problem if the same writer also wrote Horror and Non Fiction. Try finding all the books of a specific writer. Or even worse: If you have books from the same author in different translations. They'll end up all over the place.

You can try to correct that with symbolic links and virtual directories (IF they are supported). But then I'm the one doing the organizing. When I add a book (or song) I have to take care of all that info. And all that information is already availabe in the meta data. Lots of (modern) programs use it.

When you look for example to MobiReader for Windows you will see it doesn't even use a directory structure. All books are in the same one. All sorting and searching is done on the meta data. It uses the meta data to 'build' the tree you want, at a certain point in time, on the fly for you

Simply stated: I don't care were the books are stored as long as I can find them with ease. I'm as much interrested in the name of the directory as I'm interested in the exact sectors of my disk they are on. The software has to take care of that

Last edited by Ortep; 10-21-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote