View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 05:11 AM   #28
lubberts
lubberts is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader 505, soon to be Kindle user!
As my dad would say, just hold on one cotton picking minute!!
Perhaps I missed it in all of my readings on the Kindle, but when did we decide that ebooks could not be kept? Is the DRM going to erase them from the memory on your ebook reader after you finish with the final page? From what I understood, the books are stored not only to your hard drive (or home book shelf) where they could perish in a fire or flood, but also on their servers, where you can re-download AND re-read them whenever you might choose to do so. The only restriction is that you do so on your kindle (or any of the other FIVE kindle's registered to your account). If I own one, why is that a restriction at all? Granted, I don't use the computer that I had 5 years ago on a daily basis, but I still own my old colored plastic mac laptop that I had in high school, and If there were some game or program or book that I loved, but also did not care enough to re-purchase to work on OSX, AND apple hadn't created backwards compatibility for, I could revisit that ancient piece of hardware and use it.
If it is about sharing then take my example and consider; There is a small group of book loving friends I like to share books with. For me it is my uncle, my father, my girlfriend, and occasionally my Aunt, though she lives far away. It's like my fave5 (or would that be fave 6?), but for reading. :-) I have a kindle on the way, so does my dad, so does my girlfriend, when I told my uncle about it he sounded very interested. My aunt in New York was previously too far away to justify sharing reading materials (shipping is expensive if you want it there this millenium) but now, if she got one as well we would ALL be able to share our books. Not only share our books, but have copies of all of those books constantly at hand, and have the ability to all, simultaneously read the same best seller or new release for the low low price of TEN BUCKS!! Between us we would usually purchase at least two copies of a grand slam book to spread amongst us (with plenty of thumb twiddling awaiting the slow readers). These two copies are purchased at the borders 30% off price, we'll say $20 to be generous. We aren't just saving half, we're saving 3/4ths of the price we normally would have paid, and we don't have to fret about remembering to bring a book back to someone, or to bring it to share to begin with wasting gas and time. Or (not like I have ever done this) about losing it and having to fake knowing what the latest inside joke is. (haven't lost a reader yet...i'm thinking it's because I barely make that much in a week...)
And don't get me started about moving books. I HATE moving books. I've had 4 apartments in the last 4 years, and perhaps I'll keep more books around once I settle, but packing and hauling and unpacking for something I MAY peruse once in a year? Last time I had to move, I moved them all right to half price bookstore.
From the comments above this is turning into "either keep the books you might like to read again OR get a Kindle"
HUH?
lubberts is offline   Reply With Quote