View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #22712
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am not a big fan of Winer/Summer relationships but it seems like this is excepted in Thailand and in some ways beneficial. You are describing a large family that is connected. More likely then not, the child is playing with Aunts and Uncles and cousins even if he/she is not playing with his/her father. The entire clan is being supported. I would assume that the family is provided for when the man dies.

Is it possible that our more western idea of hat a family is, mother, father, child(ren), is what is causing this reaction? If in Thailand the family is mother, father, child(ren), aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents then it is more then likely that the child is not looking for Dad to play catch.

Still not thrilled with the idea, but it could be that the extended view of a nuclear family mitigates the lose of a parent earlier in life.

And lets face it, how many people in the US can talk about playing catch with their Dad? I know that is the ideal but I played catch with my brothers, who did not play catch with Dad. Dad was working insane hours, travelling, and generally not home during our active hours. He was working to provide the "ideal" life for his family. It took its tool, he was depressed and required help and my two older siblings have struggled with their relationship with him. But we all went to private universities with no debt, are successful adults, and have made some different choices as parents that emphasize having both parents at home. And we all see out parents on a regular basis and love them.

I grew up in a middle class neighborhood and I would say that my experience was closer to the norm then the Dad playing catch.

It sounds like the Western Dude with a little bit of money is happy to find companionship and start a fmaily late in life. The Thai women is happy to find someone who can care for her family. The child misses out on an active Dad but is being raised in a culture with a different idea of what family is then we have in the US. It sure sounds like a financial arrangement for the Thai woman and a sense of something for the Western Dude.

Not a big fan of it but it seems to work in some way for all the parties involved.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote