View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #40
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
Here I must strongly disagree...

Providing a SDK and making a free project are pure business decisions.
Just like Open Office is open and Microsoft Office is not. Nobody in their right minds can claim that microsoft isn't serious though..

I would prefer it if you came with arguments instead of accusations..
What are you talking about? Who did I accuse and of what exactly? All I said was that the pocketbook staff seems to be serious about what they're doing period. I haven't made any hints or insinuations to anyone.
And you can disagree all you want, nevertheless, the example you provided proves my point.
If a company is big and wealthy, it has enough funds to put into development and naturally it expects to turn profit, so it keeps its product closed to protect its investments and benefit from the innovations it came up with. On the other hand if you have a small company and you can't afford to spend a lot of money on huge teams of programmers (which I assumed was the case with pocketbook), you put your code out there, provide a sdk and let the community do the rest for you. You create a platform and coordinate the efforts. This will be beneficial for both the company and the users. If the platform is rich in features it becomes succesful, it grows in popularity and so does your product. The sales go up and you make more money. And the fact that pocketbook realized this is IMO some clever thinking on pocketbook's part.
You can argue with me, but the time will tell, all we have to do is to follow the situation around pocketbook. My guess is that it will become a popular platform.

Addendum:
For me being serious means to do the best thing under the given circumstances. Microsoft's revenue proves the best how serious they are. According to that, they're VERY SERIOUS! I have nothing but respect for them.

Last edited by Abelturd; 03-26-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote