View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
making a copyright offer the US Government can't Refuse...

Fellow copyright reformists - This is a serious lounge thread.

Many of us have felt that copyright, as it is currently implemented, is a travesty. No one had figured out, though, what could be done against the powerful copyright forces (and you can fill in your own blanks - I'm not courting a defamation lawsuit). I have finally figured out a way that might even get implemented, if the grassroots lobby enough.

One thing that is currently obvious, is that the US Gov't is spending a montrously humugous amount of money to counteract the recession, leading to a most amazing defict. I am not being partisan about this fact, I merely state it. Congress is considering placing a transfer tax on stock sales, for example, in order to raise more revenue. No stone is being left unturned in search for revenue....

So I propose a copyright tax. Yes, you heard right, this right wing libertarian is suggesting a New Tax. Property has been taxed in most states since they've existed, and this has been considered fair and obvious. Since corporate interests seem to want to treat copyright as property, let's tax it just like property.

I don't claim to have a final description of how it should be taxed, I open the floor for suggestion. I recommend the following base rules. If you want a copyright, you have to register it just like you used to in the pre-1976 days. After all, all other properties have to be registered, and their limits and location measured, so it can be properly described, copyright need the same requirements. I suggest that an initial copyright of 5 years be allowed, without registering, to allow initial protection. Anybody who wants further protection must register for it, just like registering a property transfer. Whenever the tax doesn't get paid, the work reverts to the public domain. To keep it in force, you have to pay. Just like to keep your real property, you have to pay your tax on it. If you don't, it revert to the state.

The revenue can be used for copyright enforcement, or for general purposes. Remember the old saw "Don't tax you, don't tax me, tax that fellow behind the tree." Just call it the "Rich Hollywood" tax and you've got a winner....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote