Thread: Pen Pals
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 02:46 AM   #5
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBanned View Post
Just wondering if anyone does this or has in the past.
Many of my favorite authors were prolific letter writers, I imagine its less common these days with so many cheap/free modes of communication.
They wrote letters because that is the way they communicated.

No phone. No text. No email. No social media.

I will say that much is lost now days. When a letter was penned, there was careful thought usually put into it. First you wished to present yourself favorably, to impress, and secondly you wished your words and indeed your very thoughts and mood that you were impressing onto that piece of paper to "influence."

Today, there is just a rush to "send it out."

Then there could be days or weeks between letters.

The other thing that was lost is the art of penmanship. My mother had a beautiful hand, much as you will see in the archived samples of penmanship from long ago. It was "graceful."
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote