View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
edembowski
Zealot
edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.edembowski has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Nook Color, iPad
Here's my take on it.

I had a PRS-500, and I just upgraded to the 600 (no the reflectivity is not an issue for me, but I do notice it). This is a great device. It supports ePub. Any device I buy would have to support that. Remember the Rocket ebook reader? I have a friend of mine who now refuses to buy ebooks because they went under, and he didn't have a backup of all his books. He's afraid that will happen again.

I'm not worried about keeping backups. I'm worried about changing devices. I know that if I got a Kindle, I'd be stuck with a Kindle. You cant' take the books to a new device (hacks aside). If I get the Opus a year from now, I can be confident that my books aren't a problem, since it supports the ePub standard. This is all about consumer choice to me. Having a reader that only supports one store's books is like going to an optometrist, getting glasses, and being told you can only read what he sells you with those glasses.

- Ed
edembowski is offline   Reply With Quote