View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 09:52 PM   #16
Beginner-reader
Enthusiast
Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
By the sound of your post and something I may have picked on seeing your moniker, how much do you read in general to begin with? One indication was you just got a Kindle (congrats) and your first read was a short one. And you generally stand up? Seems like that may be an indication of being somewhat antsy, not sure how many do that regardless of the material.

Is this the first struggle you have had? If not, how did you get through others? This material appears difficult and other methods may not even be applicable to this one given the difficulty.
I read a lot... online. I mostly read blogs that deal with linguistics and language learning. There's one blog that I plan on downloading so that I can re-read it on my Kindle. I usually don't read books for university because I have too much trouble understanding most of them. I usually make exceptions for books that are about linguistics, such as Steven Pinker's volumes.
I also enjoyed reading Frankenstein, even if it was a reading assignment. I stand up because I spend way too much time sitting, and also because sitting at a table to read that book makes me feel trapped. If I have to read something boring, I'd rather walk around near a window.

Quote:
I must be a slow reader since it usually takes me a couple of minutes to read a page for information, and I've read books where it could easily take over an hour to understand a single page. (Granted, those were heavy in mathematical physics.)

Anyhow, one thing I've done is breaking up reading sessions. I set a 15 minute alarm, then read for two intervals and get up and move around for one interval.
That's what I've been doing--setting 15-minute alarms and and taking small breaks in between. I haven't been taking notes during my breaks but I've been thinking about the material instead.

The book is called English Phonology and Graphonemics, and it was written by Deschamps, Fournier, Duchet and O'Neil.

What's deeply disturbing about this particular book is that the phonetic rules seem to contradict themselves. If I want to write something down, I have to understand the material fully first.
If I could, I'd just find a summary online, but I'm dealing with a course in theoretical phonetics here--I have to study it somehow.

I'm very tempted to try and read it for six hours straight tomorrow, but I don't think I'd absorb much information that way. Then again, if I don't finish it very soon, I'm afraid my Kindle will feel unloved.

Last edited by Beginner-reader; 01-01-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Beginner-reader is offline   Reply With Quote