View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I've read a couple of "inspirational" romances (apparently, that's a codeword for "Protestant Christian") that were okay, if a bit on the mild side for my tastes (which I expected). I didn't find them cloying or preachy. Comparing them with the "supernatural" romances from the same publisher, which portrayed witchcraft in a way that made me want to throw the books against the wall (I refrained; e-ink doesn't survive wall smashes nearly as well as paper did), I was left to wonder if the Christianity portrayed was as phony and annoying as the occult activities.

(Probably not. There's a lot more public awareness of how Christianity works.)

After trying a couple of them, I avoid them. I might read one by recommendation from someone I knew, but there is nothing about "this book has Christian values as a major theme" that I find compelling. I'd expect that at best, they're good stories based on a moral system I don't share and find sometimes disturbing. At worst, they're preachy fear-mongering designed to convince some Christians that the world is doomed if everyone doesn't convert tomorrow.

I wouldn't mind reading one--but "this book is designed to appeal to Christians" is a strong negative for me. That puts it rather below westerns and YA sports novels on my "likely to read on a lark" list. It'd have to have something else I found highly appealing for me to consider reading it.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote