View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #104
Joe Minton
eReader
Joe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony 650, iPod Touch 4G, iPhone 4, Nook: Touch/Glow/Color/Tablet
Good and thoughtful post azazel1024. I suspect that your analysis shall more accurately reflect what we experience in real-life use. I do not fault B&N for their battery charge life predictions; they are likely honest and accurate, given the parameters B&N used.

I'm continuing to compare my new "GL" to my other Nooks, especially the "ST" (see post #77, p. 6).

In anything other than direct sunlight, the GL is slightly inferior to the ST -- unless the light is on (25% is enough). Then the GL is clearly (LOL) the better reader. Bottom line here is that the GL must run the light to be the, generally, better of the two.

In the dark, dim light or even bright shade the lighted GL is, by far, the/my best choice. In direct sun, the ST is sharper, clearer, more contrasty.

Yesterday, I chose to read outside in direct sunlight. I first used the GL and found that the light made no difference in readability. The words were bright, clear and contrast was excellent either way; all was good. Then I turned on the ST -- Wow, what a difference!

In direct sunlight, the slight contrast advantage of the ST I noted in the B&N store seemed much greater, much greater indeed. I turned the GL off and read for an hour or so on the ST. However, had I not had the ST for comparison, I would not have been critical of the GL's screen in any way; it was clear, sharp and entirely legible.

As you can see by my info list to the left, I own all the current Nooks (don't ask). The Color and Tablet are superior indoors and at night. The ST is the best in direct sunlight. The GL is the only one that can do well, very well, in both. If I could only have one reader -- it would have to be the GL.

I'm am beginning to believe that the GL is the most versatile reader on the market and recommend it for that reason. Its compromises are few and small -- I'm keeping mine.

Joe

Last edited by Joe Minton; 05-03-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Joe Minton is offline   Reply With Quote