View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If a series is long enough, I do read in chronological order. In fact, I've recently started reading the Shannara series in chronological order. I have read some of the Shannara books. I did start off in published order. But this time, I plan on reading the entire series in chronological order. The following link will give you chronological order.

http://www.terrybrooks.net/novels/reading-orders/
I've started at First King (just about to finish it), and then intend to read in chronological order. After that, I intend to read the Word/Void series, then the "connection" Genesis series, and I'll need to look up where the new Legend duology fits in. Actually, I strongly prefer a chronological reading order if at all possible, except for maybe a prequel. I see there are three new Shannara books forthcoming.

Njaaarghh, I'll never reach the end of it that way.

Quote:
And just to let you know, I do read each book starting at the front and ending at the back.
That's what I meant with not being funny I'd expect some people to just answer "I read it from beginning to the end one book at a time from front to back".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Actually, after the first three books (and a later prequel), the vast majority of Shannara's stuff is one story-arc spread over three or four installments (the last sub-series was only two books). So... except for the three original books (and a prequel), Shannara books are most definitely NOT a "story unto themselves."
Are you sure? I thought only Voyage of the Jerle Shannara and The High Druid trilogies had a story arc spanned over three books. I do own the Word/Void series and the Genesis series, but haven't read them yet, and basically assumed they were separate stories. I could be wrong though. Straken is the last Shannara book I've read, and it was published in... what; 2005, 2006, so I'll take your word for it. I'll see when I get there edit: wikipedia says 2005. So it's been almost 8 years since my last Shannara/Terry Brooks book. That long? Sjees. Time flies.

Quote:
But anyway... I prefer a series of one these days, but I'll occasionally read a duology/trilogy. But a massive series with many, many installments and even sub-series within it?? Just ain't happenin' for this reader anymore.
I'll need to have a look at Terry Pratchett's 500 books long Discworld series. One of my friends keeps pestering me to "just read it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Finished narratives I'll do in one sitting.
LORD OF THE RINGS, for example, I read back-to-back-to-back. Twice in the same week.
(I was 17 and impressionable, okay?)
Lord of the Rings was my very first Fantasy novel. While I've been reading about my entire life (in Dutch, reading Dutch writers, mostly under the influence of school and/or as required reading), I basically never heard of fantasy till about 15 years ago. (Yeah. True Story.)

A friend of mine (whom I just met at school) gave me Baldur's Gate to play a short while after it was released at the end of 1998.

"You should try this."
Wow. Medieval stuff. Me like.
"That's fantasy, AD&D. Here, now read this book."
Lord of the Rings. Hm. Let's see. Fat one, that.
*read, read* Oh... my... gawd

Now, 15 years later, I'm still playing Baldur's Gate (and it's sequels, and many other Fantasy/RPG games), and still reading Fantasy novels in English, and I still re-read Lord of the Rings and other Tolkien works at least once a year. I basically dropped everything else beside Fantasy, including Dutch books from Dutch writers.

Baldur's Gate and Lord of the Rings never tire me, however often I play it or read it. After I finish, I feel like some sort of Teletubby: "Again, Again, Again!"

(I wish I could feel like that when doing something that would actually make me some money. For some reason, i never did any work or had any job where I had that feeling; the best I can do up until today is not feeling bored for 8.5 hours a day. But that is another story.)

However much I like Fantasy, I think it's time to do something else once in a while now, because I feel that I just *can't* re-read a series such as Shannara from beginning to end and not get bored.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-04-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote