View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Does Calibre embed "normal" font?

I have been trying to embed fonts using Calibre and have been getting very confused

When I convert books from HTML or RTF using the GUI, under "Look & Feel" I have chosen three fonts for serif, sans-serif and monospace.

I don't see anything else in the GUI which might relate to embedding fonts.

But I don't fully understand the results I get and was hoping for some guidance. This is what I've observed:

1) I don't see the long lag everybody talks about with embedding fonts. I have a PRS-505 and the page turn seems to be under one second whether I choose fonts or not. I never see three second page turns.

2) I think at least some fonts are being embedded because it looks like the italics is displayed differently depending on which font I chose.

3) I also tried to choose unusual looking fonts (eg Monotype Corsiva) so that I could more easily see if the font was being embedded and Calibre complains that "Could not find the normal version of the serif font" so Calibre is doing something with the font chosen in the GUI

4) BUT I don't think the regular body font is being changed. Maybe the differences between the serif fonts I've tried is too subtle for me to see the difference, but to me the regular body text always looks the same regardless of the font I chose.

So between the fast page turns and unchanged appearance of body text I think that maybe fonts aren't embedded. But the fact that Calibre is doing something with fonts and that I think italics looks different make me think that maybe fonts *are* embedded.

Any illumination would be appreciated!
radius is offline   Reply With Quote