View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #17
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Sigh.
This is of course not true.
Powering a light takes energy. That energy comes from the batteries.
Of course. I desperately hope that nobody here believes that the LEDs can operate without a power source.

What is in dispute is how much power they need. I haven't received my PW yet, and I wouldn't take it apart just to measure the current, but I'd guess that the current draw per LED is on the order of 1mW¹. Given that there are eight LEDs and the battery is on the order of 6Wh¹, that would translate to about 750 hours of light-on, if everything else is powered off. Clearly that's not the case, but it appears that Amazon's claim that the lights consume significantly less than the rest is not patently absurd.

¹Figures obtained through the time-honoured method of 'Pulling them out of the arse'™. Any real figures greatly appreciated.
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote