View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
Pode
Pode began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Comics/manga reader with inapp OCR/dictionary ?

I don't really in which subforum I can ask that question, and it's still a general idea, so I suppose it's best to ask it here.

There's now a lot of manga, comics, euro-"bande dessinée" available as a scan or directly through legal online store, in an electronic form, in all languages.

I spent some time to search for it, but I didn't find any comics/manga reader (either on desktop win/lin/mac, or on Mobile iOS/Android/Win/etc.) that provide the possibility to read a page, "select" a word in it, have a quick OCR done on the text, and provide you a definition/translation.
My idea is, for example, to read comics in spanish (as it's not my mother tongue), and quickly highlight/OCR the word I don't know, to help me learn them faster.

I'm a developer, my specialty is Computer Vision (with OpenCV and other frameworks). Printed texts in comic books follow some constraints that make them manageable by an OCR algorithm.

Since I never saw a soft doing that, I though that I need to code one myself, but before that, I really wanted to be sure that no one exist.

Does somebody heard of an app that does that ?
Pode is offline   Reply With Quote