View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Back when all Kindle models were 3G only (pre-K3) and the apps were in very primitive stages and the WiFi didn't exist, so it was reasonable to assume that anyone getting a Kindle book outside the US had a very high likelihood of owning an actual hardware Kindle and using the 3G to download their books, according to what I've read on the Amazon discussion boards back when I was still reading them, their CS used to quasi-officially admit that the $2 extra was a surcharge to pay for the cost of the 3G.

This was before Amazon had gotten into place a number of the carrier agreements it currently has and thus had to pay the delivery costs piecemeal at a much higher price. US-registered Kindlers who for whatever reason used the 3G book download function outside the States (travelling overseas, lying about actual address, etc.) had a corresponding $1.99 per book downloaded via 3G fee which would be automatically charged to their account, which was noted in the official help literature. I think they've since ended the overseas "roaming" fee.

Of course, with the advent of the WiFi-only models and the proliferation of the various Kindle for Apps to the point where a mild majority of the respondents in this actual post have no actual Kindle hardware listed in the Device section of their profile blurb-box, the entire idea of it being a surcharge for the previously 3G-only Whispernet insta-delivery service became quietly pushed to the background and now there's no actual official-ish reason admitted to for it.
Okay, I wondered if 3G was the reason. So it seems to me as if there is really no longer a legitimate reason to charge customers in certain regions extra if they are not using a 3G Kindle? If so, then Amazon should abolish the fees.

As if that would ever happen.....
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote