View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #35
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Adverts between chapters wouldn't really bother me, but I wouldn't want to see them onscreen all the way through. Product placement would probably work better though. "He lit his Silk Cut and sighed at the smooth flavour as he inhaled." Or "he opened up his Macbook Air and pondered how much better it was than his old Windows computer."
That is already with us. A few examples from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. Just a quick search for product names (this really struck me while I was reading it) turned up these:

Quote:
Frode knew what he looked like and kindly collected him from the platform and led him straight to the warmth of his Mercedes.
Quote:
He borrowed Frode’s Mercedes and drove through a snowy landscape to spend the afternoon with Detective Superintendent Morell. Blomkvist had tried to form an impression of Morell based on the way he came across in the police report.*
Quote:
The artwork on the walls was reproductions and posters, of the sort found in IKEA.
Quote:
All of it was from IKEA apart from the two comfortable and extravagant armchairs and a small end table—a concession to my upbringing, she liked to say.*
Quote:
The rucksack contained her white Apple iBook 600 with a 25-gig hard drive and 420 megs of RAM, manufactured in January 2002 and equipped with a 14-inch screen.
Quote:
The loss of her computer was depressing but not disastrous. Salander had had an excellent relationship with it during the year she had owned it. She had backed up all her documents, and she had an older desktop Mac G3 at home, as well as a five-year-old Toshiba PC laptop that she could use. But she needed a fast, modern machine.

Unsurprisingly she set her sights on the best available alternative: the new Apple PowerBook G4/1.0 GHz in an aluminium case with a PowerPC 7451 processor with an AltiVec Velocity Engine, 960 MB RAM and a 60 GB hard drive. It had BlueTooth and built-in CD and DVD burners.
Best of all, it had the first 17-inch screen in the laptop world with NVIDIA graphics and a resolution of 1440 x 900 pixels, which shook the PC advocates and outranked everything else on the market.
This of course became goldmine in book sales, not to mention film rights, but Larsson apparently had a backup plan.