View Single Post
Old 06-24-2007, 09:46 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've put together the same book using all the options Book Designer allows for Palm/MobiPocket and FictionBook. Please tlel me what works best overall or do we need a section for FictionBook?
I tried these with FBReader under Windows and Linux and with the Windows MobiPocket Reader. Both FBReader and MobiPocket Reader can read the "Mobipocket" version. They display the images but they do not produce a TOC (table of contents) that shows up under the Contents tab, i.e. this is missing from the document. It is possible to navigate by going to the first page and then clicking on the embedded TOC, but this isn't quite a convenient as a formal TOC. Both also read the "Simple prc" version, which only has text and has no navigable TOC. This is actually a PalmDoc (AportisDoc) file. These are the only files readable by MobiPocket, but FBReader also reads the FB2 version. The only advantage of this version is that it does have a formal TOC (it also has enough metadata to be added automatically to FBReader's library view). The "Palm Reader" versions (PeanutPress format) are not readable by either reader.

It would be nice if the "MobiPocket" version provided a formal TOC, but this presumably needs an upgrade to Book Designer. The only other problem I see with this version is that FBReader does not detect that it is encoded using Windows-1252, and assumes it is using ISO-8859-1 by default. The encoding can be manually set using FBReader, and it isn't a problem with MobiPocket Reader. A quick way to check the encoding is to look at the double quotes in Chapter 2, which were not being displayed by default under FBReader.

An example of a complete MobiPocket document is Ring Of Fire from Baen's free library. Under the "Contents" tab in this case, MobiPocket Reader includes entries for the TOC, the cover, the first page, and e-book info.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote