View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #72
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Coding is my job, so I know how I think when I'm doing it. Sure, I have to translate each idea to the coding language as I type each line, but the intentions are manifested as language in my head. For example, I would think: "get the x-coordinate of the side furthest to the left", and then type out the code necessary to do that. So, I have a monologue going in my head in my native language as I code. I was wondering if others could do it without that, somehow understanding the intention without expressing it in their native language, and thus making it harder to verbalize. It sounds like you might, so, can you articulate how you do it? I'm curious because I can't imagine doing it any other way than I how do it.
I do not do that. I think in concepts and structures, and math and logic. Verbalizing things just makes them harder to grasp and also you need powerful concepts for thinking since you can only handle an handful of concepts at a time.

Related to that I have noticed that when I read philosophers writing logical statements using ordinary language it is extremely hard to grasp what they mean but the corresponding logical/mathematical formula is much easier to understand.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote