View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #47
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestlem View Post
...[SNIPPED]...
You do not need these you just need a global font and size

Currently this is the one readson I have found to stick with Stanza
Reading your post I now realize I have two reasons. Although I will make them a bit less specific.

1. Appliance of user CSS preferences.

In Marvin if you switch from 'publisher formatting' to 'Marvin Formatting' every setting that is at that moment deviating from the book's CSS will be applied to the book. I cannot change just line spacing or paragraph spacing or indentation or alignment without selecting Marvin's formatting.

In Stanza, there is no such choice, you change one preference and only that preference is applied to the book. So if I only want to change margin or font size or alignment or line spacing or paragraph spacing, I can change only that one setting.

2. Book/Library management.

I never realized this before because I never needed to, but due to some experiments in Python I needed to quickly assign a couple of tags (or subjects as Marvin calls them) to a couple of books. I noticed this was a very cumbersome process. I had to actually type the tags myself in an ittybitty field, and of course I made some typos in case, so ended up with the same tag in different case amongst others.

Now, granted, in Stanza it ain't perfect either, but at least I do not need to type the same tag over and over. Also, metadata is a bit spread out, assigning tags should for my feeling be handled the same as collections. Speaking about collections, this is the only thing I can assign multiple books to in one action. But I also want to be able to do the same with tags. I also want to be able to assign tags and collections to a single book from within the book, while I am reading it (check the i icon top-right in stanza to get an idea) select one or more tags from an existing list just by tapping/tickmarking. Vice versa, I want to be able to edit a tag and select one or more books to assign that tag to. Same for collections.

I honestly never realized before why I still stick with Stanza for the most part. It's not because it doesn't have issues, because it certainly has some of its own, however, these I only encounter in specific circumstances, which is different from how certain aspects of a program are implemented, because these you are faced with during every day use.

Nope, I discovered that the main reason why I accept the issues, is because the way I can manage books resembles the way I can manage books in Calibre. That and the way it handles settings without changing other settings in the process resulting from having to choose between two formatting modes.

But in other aspects Marvin beats Stanza by a mile, and if the book/library management and handling of user preferences regarding book CSS someday approaches my ideal, I'll be over permanently like a shot, that is if some bigshot company doesn't think it's becoming too much of a competitor and pulls a Stanza on Marvin before that time, that's another of my worries

PS. And to make the waters even muddier, A while back I found an eReader that had enhanced the 'speak selection' option to make it read constantly so I recently tried having a book read out to me while reading along myself. I've named her 'Caitlin' and she has a very nice voice. I must say, for a built-in voice, she did not sound bad at all. In fact I enjoyed the experience.

Last edited by At_Libitum; 10-28-2013 at 07:18 PM.
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote