View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sorotokin View Post
Hadrien,

Your book is slow because the chapters are not splitted into separate flows. While technically it does not violate the spec (and it passes epubcheck), it places very high processing burden on the reading system. It will only be worse on the handhelds, which might not even be able to load the whole book because of the memory/CPU constraints.

This is a common problem and Digital Editions beta detects this. When you see a slowdown, check "Item info" and if you see this message: "Document contains a resource which is too long", there is a good chance that this book won't be fully readable on handhelds.

Peter Sorotokin
Adobe Systems - Digital Publishing
Well, most of the samples files that I've seen around used a single file too. In our case we use multiple .xml files but a single one for the main content of the book.

I've just tried opening War and Peace in DE 1.5 (that's usually my worst case scenario) and although it gets pretty slow when you open the main content, I don't get the warning.

I could make some work on the way we generate our files, but in some cases, we'd still get very long flows (for example a book from Proust or Ulysses from James Joyce).

Edit: Maybe you did not translated the alerts ?
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote