View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #311
BoldlyDubious
what if...?
BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BoldlyDubious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paper & electrophoretic
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But you seem to be proposing that you SHOULD get the right to publish the book. What is creating additional copies of the book and giving those copies to anyone you choose but your own little publishing business?
No, why? If I give a copy of my media files to my family and close acquaintances FOR FREE, as allowed by my proposal for "social DRM", that's not publishing. On the other side, if I ask money for giving you a copy of a file I am doing something (reselling) that I have not bought the right to do, and the publisher can sue me... and it will sue me, considering that a pointer to me is embedded in the file.

What happens if I think I'm smart and I charge people to give them a copy of my files even if I don't know them very well personally? That very soon one or more of these people who paid for pirated media will upload it somewhere, (after all, it was alreadypirated!) and I will get caught and fined.
Even if I keep a list of the names of my "customers" and give this list to the police saying they're my friends, it's sufficient for them to deny being the illegal distributors to get away unscathed... while I get the fine nonetheless. And they will do that, because they are not my friends.
It doesn't seem a viable "business model" to me...
BoldlyDubious is offline   Reply With Quote