View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 10:39 PM   #3
theseamonkey
theseamonkey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thanks so much for your reply.

I did a little bit more troubleshooting on this, and I made the following observations that may be helpful in resolving this problem:
  1. When Calibre emails fetched magazines to my KTouch email address, they are converted and delivered by Amazon as .azw files. The Sections & Articles index does not appear.
  2. Magazines that I buy through the Kindle store are delivered to my KTouch with a .pobi file extension. The Sections & Articles index successfully appears.
  3. Magazines that Calibre fetches are stored locally with a .mobi file extension.
  4. When Calibre transfers the fetched magazines to my KTouch via USB, they are transferred onto the device as .pobi files (even though they are stored locally on my computer as .mobi files). The Sections & Articles index successfully appears.
  5. If I manually transfer one of the local .mobi files to my KTouch via USB (drag and drop in Windows Explorer), the Sections & Articles index does not appear.
  6. If I rename one of the local .mobi files to have a .pobi extension and then manually transfer it to my KTouch via USB, the Sections & Articles index successfully appears.
  7. Fetched magazines that Calibre previously delivered by email to my K4Basic were saved on that device as .azw files, and the Sections & Articles index appeared correctly on the K4Basic.
  8. If I manually transfer one of these .azw files from the K4Basic to my KTouch via USB, the Sections & Articles index does not appear.
  9. If I rename that same .azw file from the K4Basic so it has a .pobi extension and transfer it to my KTouch, the Sections & Articles index successfully appears.

It seems, then, that the problem is not an issue of Amazon changing the requirements for periodicals or that they have switched to the new KF8 format, but rather just that the file extension for periodicals must be .pobi on the new KTouch devices.

For what it's worth, I tried emailing a .pobi file to my KTouch email address, and Amazon rejected it.
theseamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote