View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 03:13 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I don't own an Odyssey (frontlight or not), and I've never used a Kobo, but I've had a Gen3 and an Orizon, and tried a Sony and a Pocketbook.

My reasons to prefer Bookeen:

- Custom font support (but I've been told recent Kobos have that too).
- Full justification when the book does not specify any alignment.
- Hyphenation and ligature support (I guess other readers with a non-prehistoric Adobe engine will have these too).
- Possibility of disabling status bar, headers, etc. Just give me the text with as narrow margins as possible.
- Folder display in the library (I might also like some other methods, but I definitely want something else than just sorting by author or title).
- Cover thumbnails in the library.
- Quickly highlight words and short text fragments (I use this a lot to mark typos or other problems that I later fix in the computer, probably not that useful for people who just read).
- Can rotate the screen and read in landscape orientation (I guess all modern readers allow this).
- Can use most features (particularly change pages) with a button, without being forced to move my hand from its comfortable resting position to touch the screen with my greasy fingers.

Things I miss:

- Settings for margins and line spacing (again, I've been told recent Kobos have this).
- Follow links in images (this is an Adobe bug, I'm afraid).
- Fit large images in screen, allow zooming into them. This works with the image viewer, but not with images inside an ePub.
- Dictionary (the Odyssey has that, but not the Orizon).
- Manually rotate the screen (I have to enable accelometer, rotate, disable accelerometer).
- A clock, reading progress and battery meter in a small status bar (which can be disabled).
- Customizable stand-by screens, and a useful start screen which can be operated without the touchscreen.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote