View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 10:02 PM   #11
kenjennings
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenP View Post
* It is somewhat slow and sluggish. Although the processor is 1.2 Ghz it is only running at 800 Mhz and it shows.
I find it about the same speed as my iRex Iliad. A little slower than newer, dedicated readers which to me is expected given the work it has to do with two screens.

Quote:
* The e-ink is quite "laggy" when using it for marking notes on ebook pages (sometimes, really bad)
The default color when annotating documents is red which requires two refreshes of the eInk pixels ( due to the current driver?) to get clean lines in the corresponding shade of grey. Switch to black and the update is much faster. Here I see it noticeably faster than my iRex Iliad.

Quote:
* I am finding that although the e-ink screen is larger then the nook or smaller Kindle (which are meant more for novel reading) I find it still too small for my technical books. Unfortunately, the toolbars at the top and bottom take up space (I would love to be able to hide when not needed) and zooming only does so much because most of my books don't reflow.
Yes, I agree the reader needs help. Support landscape, and better zoom, pan, and scroll.

Quote:
* I find the 8 shades of grey limitation can make reading some colorized text (such as source code that has been colorized) difficult to read.
This is an inherent problem with any grey-scale display. 16 grey scale shades on the Iliad do not improve the situation. It just is not meant for viewing multi-color displays. It is intended for plain text and line art (photos intended for grey scale viewing also look good.) When used as intended it is much nicer than viewing the same content on an LCD.

Quote:
* The camera first off is not really great quality but that's okay, since it's really meant for recording classes and perhaps seminars and not making home movies. But, how should that be done? Lift the tablet side up vertically and face it towards the speakers while recording all the while they see their mirror reflection?
I agree. The camera should have been on the back of the LCD lid (as it is in most phones). Or there should be a second camera -- the current camera and one on the lid to allow recording video as you explained, and allow video conferencing with the correct orientation of the edge for both. Perhaps eDGe Model 3.0.

Quote:
* SD cards are second class citizens. I really thought I could expand my library just be inserting an SD card. You can read from the there but they're not really part of the library.
?? The current software allows you to transfer the library to the external sd card.

Last edited by kenjennings; 06-30-2010 at 10:07 PM.