Thread: iPad Library Books on iPad?
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 12:13 AM   #12
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
I may be looking at it simplistically (won't be the first time), but there is a Kindle app and a nook app for the iPad because both Amazon and B&N are perfectly willing to sell books to iPad owners. But that is because the app provides the DRM compatibility required to open the books, and the concept is no different than the apps used to read Kindle and nook books on various and sundry platforms.

Overdrive, however, only manages the Library loaning process and uses ADE as the "reader". Apple won't (at this time) allow ADE to operate on their products, so Overdrive's hands are tied unless they come up with an additional program to provide a second DRM for Library books which WILL work on the Apple products.

We can read ADE books from the library because our readers have ADE built in. Let's see a show of hands for those who have found an app they can load into their Kindle to allow downloading and reading of Overdrive's ADE books on their Kindle. It's the same problem, as far as I can tell.
Adobe has no intention to make an ADE app for the iPad as far as I have seen. They do license out the RMSDK though, which any app maker could use to support ADE content on the iPad. The problem isn't that Apple won't allow it - it's that no one has taken the time to do it yet; at least not with remote fulfillment, which is required for library books.

Overdrive could offer this; they are in the best position to do so as they could then claim it as a feature to all the customers who currently use their system. From a software developer's point of view, they are not blocked.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote